In this final section I’m going to list a few common scams that have been doing the rounds and catching some sellers out. Please read and look out for the warning signs.
- The cheque overpayment scam: The buyer offers to send a cheque for you item and will send a friend to collect the item. However the cheque is for too much, so asks you to give his friend the difference in cash along with the item. Couple of days later, the cheque bounces and your left with no item and a lot of cash down.
- The PayPal collection scam: The buyer pays for your item via PayPal, but collects the item. A few days later, they file a ‘item not received’ complaint with PayPal, who reverse the payment. Without a proof of postage, you can’t back up your claim with PayPal.
- Fake PayPal emails scam: When ever you receive an email from PayPal or eBay claiming an item has been won, purchased or payment received, double check your PayPal account for confirmation (and not by clicking links in said emails). The email maybe a spoof, hoping you’ll post the item without payment, or worse, linking to a fake PayPal or eBay phishing site where your login details will be stolen.
Check out your buyers reputation, when they joined the forum, how many posts they’ve made and how much feedback they’ve got. Someone who joined the forum yesterday, is offering your full price but wants shipping to Egypt, could be a bit dodgy, proceed with caution. Conversely, someone who’ve been on the forum since 1999, has 25,000 posts and is based in Coventry is likely to be well known to all on the forum and reputable. Common sense really.
Make sure you get proof of postage whenever you send anything. Even when posting a £10 cable, via 1st Class Royal Mail, a Certificate of Postage can help with a lost parcel claim. Always insure your items to a high enough value to cover them, its not worth skimping to save £5 postage.
Finally as a general rule, don’t deal with anyone in Nigeria!
- Selling Tips - Step 1: Preparing to Sell
- Selling Tips - Step 2: Photographing
- Selling Tips - Step 3: Pricing
- Selling Tips - Step 4: Writing Your Description
- Selling Tips - Step 5: Postage and Packaging
- Selling Tips - Step 6: Listing Your Ad
- Selling Tips - Step 7: Following Up
- Selling Tips - Step 8: Completing The Sale
- Selling Tips - Step 9: Don't Get Scammed!